The Wyoming Department of Public is currently responding to an anhydrous ammonia leak in the 500 block of 32nd St SE.
Hazardous Materials Teams from the Wyoming and Grand Rapids Fire Departments are on scene attempting to contain the leak.
The good news is that no one was injured after an ammonia leak was discovered at the State Heat Treating company off of 32nd Street in Wyoming.
“The employees had smelled a chemical type smell and that they had heard a hissing sound. So they immediately evacuated their facility.”
Kent County Emergency Management Coordinator Matt Groesser says the leak occurred above an outdoor storage tank in an elbow connection that leads to a valve. They were able to shut off the valve around noon. The all clear was sounded shortly after.
Groesser says they were also able to activate a recently installed system that alerts people within a specific location, via their cell phones, that there was an emergency. Roughly 600 people received a text message to shelter in place or evacuate after the emergency was called into authorities. The system is operated by FEMA as a quick way to notify residents of an emergency situation.
UPDATE (1:25pm): We are expecting to speak with Emergency Management Coordinator Matt Groesser later this afternoon and hope to have more information.
UPDATE (12:04pm): The all clear has been sounded and evacuated people can return to their homes.
The Wyoming Department of Public is currently responding to an anhydrous ammonia leak in the 500 block of 32nd St SE. Hazardous Materials Teams from the Wyoming and Grand Rapids Fire Departments are on scene attempting to contain the leak.
COMMUNITY ACTION STATEMENT:
An evacuation is being implemented for the people between Eastern Ave SE and Roger B. Chaffee Memorial Blvd, and 32nd St. SE and 36th St SE. People in that area are asked to evacuate to the north and move north of 32nd St SE.
Residents not in the evacuation area, but bordering it are asked to shelter in place, keep windows and doors closed, and turn off ventilation systems.